Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 5, 2008

What Is Missing In Motivation?

As I digest the theories on motivation I could not help senseing the vacummn....psychosocial needs...physilogocal needs.. ok ok...we know that ... but what's missing?

I finally found a glimmer of light in Brunner. He says that INTRINSIC MOTIVATION is a natural desire to know.. and drive to achieve. Well, I can relate to that. Extrinsic motivation is not for me. But if it works for you, what the heck.. just use it.

The desire to know can be applied in project based learning. Let your groups choose their own outcome. They will investigate, create and invent because they are driven by their own curiousity.

Of course physiological drives are something else...It is related to an unfulfilled need. Of course I must admit that I would really be attracted to do something if the reward was my favourite chocolate...

What is missing in motivation?

Whatever happened to meaningful learning? If you do not feel that what you are learning is meaningful, would you bother about it?

And what makes it meaningful?

Back to what's missing in motivation?

Can you buy a person's heart with a promise of a good job, a powerful career and a good name?

You know what motivates you... I bet it has a lot more to do with your spirit than with the superficial rewards danggling before you.

The question is... how do you touch the spirit of todays learner to motivate him to meaningful learning?

2 comments:

mentalmotion said...

erm?? i think all of us have different ways to be motivated...
children and adult.... they are different desires... aite??
even for me...

MARY ANNE VAZ said...

Yse I agree... what motivates you...?