Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Socio-Cultural Motivation

Do you belong to a group that energises you because you identify with the values and beliefs of the group?

You are experiencing socio-cultural motivation. You want to build up your identity in the group by learning more about the group set of beliefs . You want to belong.

At first when I read about this theory I could not accept it because it sounds like giving up your real self to be part of a community. Then I realised that it was true for me in some situations.

Looking back I realize that when I was in a club called Toastmasters, an international communications and leadership club, I was very motivated. I trained myself to be a great leader. In my heart I wanted to be the voice of the voiceless.

No doubt there were all sorts of extrinsic motivational incentives like titles and competitions that were built into the system of training. However, I was a self motivated person. Intrinsic motivation.. from within.

Now I realize that the values of the members attracted and uplifted me. So this is the socio-cultural aspect of it.

As eagles , this is an important theory to impliment. If we are to energize birds to be eagles... we need to form a learning community. We need to have a culture of excellence. What this is we determine ourselves.

I see you have contributed a lot to our treasure of emerging values.

You post messages which are very meaningful.

You provoke thinking.

We are actually creating a socio-cultural motivation situation in this shared blog...eagles lead

No comments: